Saturday, May 2, 2009

Post #17: Hannity on FOX News


Last night I watched an episode of Hannity on FOX News Station. I was actually surprised at the show. I have never watched anything on FOX news channel before because of it's reputation of being uber-right sided. Therefore, I was shocked to see that Hannity had a panel on his show that had Democrat Lanny Davis. So I thought to myself if Davis is on Hannity is probably going to tear him apart. I was in awe at how civil of a conversation they had. The panel also contained Mary Anne Zoellner who is a correspondent on NBC as well as Collin Raye, a country music star. Hannity would ask the panelist questions and gave them the opportunity to respond. He did not cut them off if they had "liberal" opinions like I thought he would.

One of the topics that was addressed during the panel was the switching of sides of Arlen Specter. They talked about the topic in a civilized manner. The panelist spoke about how this would not be a guarantee for the Democratic Party to be filibuster proof because not everyone of them is going to go along with what Obama wants. Likewise, they also must listen to their constituents and do what is best for their state (and probably what is best for them to get re-elected).

The show was quite different than what I was expecting. I am glad that I learned what I did and came out with a positive view on the show. FOX news may be considered right winged but at least they allow the other side's view to be heard, unlike some of those right winged radio stations found on the AM dial. Whenever they get a caller in who has an opinion that differs from theirs, they usually just hang up the call. It's so frustrating, I don't know how anyone could listen to that for more than five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment